After seeing Sid the captain's awesome write-up for the rotisserie league, I decided to follow suit and do one for the 12-team, head-to-head Yahoo league I'm in. In contrast to the roto league, most of the league members had seen it all before, as many were in the same league last year.
As with StC's recap, I'll list the draft picks by round, as well as the best sleeper/value of the round, the biggest potential bust of the round, and my own pick. I'll also analyze the rounds as a whole.
NOTE: Scoring categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, and SO - pretty standard.
1. Asham's Antagonists: Alex Ovechkin, LW, Was
2. Young Guns: Sidney Crosby, C, Pit
3. Hoooookks: Evgeni Malkin, C, Pit
4. 5-Hole Molesters: Ryan Miller, G, Buf
5. FrankD Fist Pumps: Steven Stamkos, C, TB
6. Jobbin' with JD: Nicklas Backstron, C, Was
7. Cold Crush Crew: Henrik Sedin, C, Van
8. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Zach Parise, LW, NJ
9. The Mearas: Mike Green, D, Was
10. Back Door Burglar: Ilya Kovalchuk, LW/RW, NJ
11. puckNutz: Daniel Sedin, LW, Van
12. Blackwater Park: Roberto Luongo, G, Van
Best pick: Stamkos (5)
I'll be up-front about this: I love Stamkos. I think the combination of his skill set, the way in which he is used in Tampa, and the players around him basically makes him a lock for 40+ goals for this year and years to come. Had I been picking #3, he would have been the guy.
Bust alert: Luongo (12)
Not really any huge reaches in the first round, so I'll just pick on Luongo. Not a bad pick, but I'd probably take Lundquist over Luongo if we're talking goalies.
My pick: Crosby (2)
Number two is the easiest pick in the draft.
Fairly standard as a first round. Interesting, though, that the top 12 players come from only six teams (Pittsburgh, Washington, New Jersey, Vancouver, Buffalo, Tampa Bay).
13. Blackwater Park: Martin Brodeur, G, NJ
14. puckNutz: Dany Heatley, LW/RW, SJ
15. Back Door Burglar: Henrik Lundquist, G, NYR
16. The Mearas: Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anh
17. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Drew Doughty, D, LA
18. Cold Crush Crew: Pavel Datsyuk, C, Det
19. Jobbin' with JD: Eric Staal, C, Car
20. FrankD Fist Pumps: Ilya Bryzgalov, G, Pho
21. 5-Hole Molesters: Duncan Keith, D, Chi
22. Hoooookks: Alexander Semin, RW, Was
23. Young Guns: Patrick Kane, RW, Chi
24. Asham's Antagonists: Jimmy Howard, G, Det
Best pick: Semin (22)
Sure, he has his shortcomings, but you can't deny that Semin puts up the points - and that's all that matters in fantasy hockey. He could easily match Kovalchuk and Heatley, for a better price.
Bust alert: Keith (21)
This pick is basically the opposite of Semin - Keith is an incredible player in real life, but I don't know if he can put up 70 points again without gaining some PP time. However, there's potential here, as well - if Keith does get that PP time, his numbers might go up. I'm just not willing to bet on that.
My pick: Kane (23)
I had myself set on Kane immediately after making the Crosby pick, and was glad to see him fall to me. Crosby and Kane, along with my next pick, gave me a very nice top three at forward.
Again, no huge reaches here, and not much drafting for positional need - just grabbing the perceived best player available.
25. Asham's Antagonists: Jonathan Toews, C, Chi
26. Young Guns: Rick Nash, LW/RW, Cls
27. Hoooookks: Martin St. Louis, RW, TB
28. 5-Hole Molesters: Joe Thornton, C, SJ
29. FrankD Fist Pumps: Tuukka Rask, G, Bos
30. Jobbin' with JD: Marian Gaborik, RW, NYR
31. Cold Crush Crew: Jarome Iginla, RW, Cgy
32. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Jason Spezza, C, Ott
33. The Mearas: Jaroslav Halak, G, StL
34. Back Door Burglar: Henrik Zetterberg, C, Det
35. puckNutz: Jeff Carter, C, Phi
36. Blackwater Park: Mike Richards, C, Phi
Best pick: Zetterberg (34)
Good down-year pick here. Henrik's going to score a lot more than three power-play goals this year.
Bust alert: Spezza (32)
Frank gets bitten by the autopick here. Spezza's been a bust for two years straight (having had him both years, I would know), so there's not really a reason to expect much more from him than what he's been giving.
My pick: Nash (26)
Nash rounds out my top-three forwards, giving me one each at center, left wing, and right wing. A little positional need factored in here (after this pick, only five LW's were chosen for the next four rounds), but I've always liked Nash, and figured this was a good value for him.
The third round was a bit interesting - it featured several older forwards, and two very young goalies who have yet to play a full NHL season as a starter. Both of these player categories inherently entail some serious risk. Some drafting for positional need begins to occur.
37. Blackwater Park: Vincent Lecavalier, C, TB
38. puckNutz: Patrick Marleau, C/LW, SJ
39. Back Door Burglar: Bobby Ryan, C/LW, Anh
40. The Mearas: Corey Perry, RW, Anh
41. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Anze Kopitar, C, LA
42. Cold Crush Crew: Tomas Vokoun, G, Fla
43. Jobbin' with JD: Craig Anderson, G, Col
44. FrankD Fist Pumps: Shea Weber, D, Nsh
45. 5-Hole Molesters: Marc-Andre Fleury, G, Pit
46. Hoooookks: Ryan Kesler, C, Van
47. Young Guns: Pekka Rinne, G, Nsh
48. Asham's Antagonists: Miikka Kiprusoff, G, Cgy
Best pick: Kopitar (41)
The auto-pick giveth, and the auto-pick taketh away - blessed be the name of the auto-pick? Kopitar is a fantastic sleeper, who could probably make a run at 100 points this year. Quite possibly the pick of the draft.
Bust alert: Fleury (45)
Is it wrong of me to be down on Fleury like I am? Because I just don't see him as a wonderful NHL goaltender. Good, but not wonderful. Feel free to attack me on this one; I think I earned it.
My pick: Rinne (47)
Drafting mostly for need, and I definitely saw Rinne as the best goalie left. Had Kesler not been snatched with the pick before me, however, I would have definitely considered him.
49. Asham's Antagonists: John Taveras, C, NYI
50. Young Guns: Paul Stastny, C, Col
51. Hoooookks: Marian Hossa, RW, Chi
52. 5-Hole Molesters: Michael Cammalleri, LW, Mon
53. FrankD Fist Pumps: Daniel Alfredsson, RW, Ott
54. Jobbin' with JD: Chris Pronger, D, Phi
55. Cold Crush Crew: Dan Boyle, D, SJ
56. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Dion Phaneuf, D, Tor
57. The Mearas: Jonathan Quick, G, LA
58. Back Door Burglar: Cam Ward, G, Car
59. puckNutz: Sergei Gonchar, D, Ott
60. Blackwater Park: Johan Franzen, RW, Det
Best pick: Hossa (51)
I hate to say it, but Hossa's probably going to get about 80 points this year. That's a nice number for a fifth-rounder.
Bust alert: Cammalleri (52)
His awesome postseason might make some people forget that he only tallied 50 points in the regular season last year - as a reference, undrafted Andrew Brunette posted 61 last season.
My pick: Stastny (50)
Since my bases are pretty much covered as far as getting a top talent at non-D positions (part of my strategy is to pick up D sleepers in the late rounds), I go ahead and grab my number two center. Stastny has posted some nice point totals so far in his career, and he has room to improve as well.
We lose our collective souls in this round, as Hossa, Pronger, Cammalleri, and Franzen all get taken. Oh, and there was a mini run on defensemen, as well.
61. Blackwater Park: Mark Streit, D, NYI
62. puckNutz: Brad Richards, C, Dal
63. Back Door Burglar: Thomas Vanek, LW, Buf
64. The Mearas: Travis Zajac, C, NJ
65. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Chris Stewart, RW, Col
66. Cold Crush Crew: Phil Kessel, RW, Tor
67. Jobbin' with JD: Nicklas Lidstrom, D, Det
68. FrankD Fist Pumps: Simon Gagne, LW, TB
69. 5-Hole Molesters: Nathan Horton, RW, Bos
70. Hoooookks: Semyon Varlamov, G, Was
71. Young Guns: Niklas Backstrom, G, Min
72. Asham's Antagonists: Tyler Myers, D, Buf
Best pick: Zajac (64)
Several great picks in this round, but Zajac has serious star potential now, with the weaponry surrounding him. It's time for him to take the next step and become a point-per-game center.
Bust alert: Lidstrom (67)
I don't have much to justify this with, other than the fact that he's getting old. But that's something.
My pick: Backstrom (71)
I have him in both of my leagues, now. A top-10 goalie at a fraction of the price.
Excellent round, here. The people who get stars out of this round are the ones who'll see each other in the playoffs.
73. Asham's Antagonists: Alexandre Burrows, LW, Van
74. Young Guns: Zdeno Chara, D, Bos
75. Hoooookks: Marty Turco, G, Chi
76. 5-Hole Molesters: Loui Eriksson, RW, Dal
77. FrankD Fist Pumps: Erik Johnson, D, StL
78. Jobbin' with JD: Antero Niittymaki, G, SJ
79. Cold Crush Crew: Christian Ehrhoff, D, Van
80. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Danny Briere, RW, Phi
81. The Mearas: Patrik Elias, C/LW, NJ
82. Back Door Burglar: Patric Hornqvist, RW, Nsh
83. puckNutz: Carey Price, G, Mon
84. Blackwater Park: Brian Rafalski, D, Det
Best pick: Burrows (73)
Yeah, I got very mad when Burrows went right before me. Great choice, though.
Bust alert: Briere (80)
You thought Briere was a reach at 115 in your league, Sid the captain? Try 80 in ours. Yeesh.
My pick: Chara (74)
Kind of deviated from my plan here. I had my heart set on Burrows, without a backup plan. When he went, I panicked, and wound up taking Chara mainly on name recognition. Probably my least favorite draft choice, as far as my own players go.
The final few elite options are taken. Some fringy goalies start being drafted, and some slightly fringy forwards as well. Defense is still reasonably strong, though.
85. Blackwater Park: Dustin Penner, LW, Edm
86. puckNutz: Jonas Hiller, G, Anh
87. Back Door Burglar: Derek Roy, C, Buf
88. The Mearas: Jason Pominville, RW, Buf
89. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Kari Lehtonen, G, Dal
90. Cold Crush Crew: Tomas Kaberle, D, Tor
91. Jobbin' with JD: Bryan McCabe, D, Fla
92. FrankD Fist Pumps: Alex Goligoski, D, Pit
93. 5-Hole Molesters: David Booth, LW, Fla
94. Hoooookks: Kris Letang, D, Pit
95. Young Guns: Ales Hemsky, RW, Edm
96. Asham's Antagonists: Tomas Plekanec, C, Mon
Best pick: Hiller (86)
When you consider that Niittymaki, Price, and Turco had been taken in the previous round, this looks like a pretty good pick.
Bust alert: McCabe (91)
He hasn't posted very good stats since joining the Panthers.
My pick: Hemsky (95)
I was looking for a sleeper winger here, and it was either going to be Hemsky or Booth. My decision was made for me when Booth got snagged two picks before me.
A little bit of homerism shows up, as both Goligoski and Letang leave the board.
97. Asham's Antagonists: Joe Pavelski, C/RW, SJ
98. Young Guns: Andrei Markov, D, Mon
99. Hoooookks: Brenden Morrow, LW, Dal
100. 5-Hole Molesters: Patrick Sharp, C/LW, Chi
101. FrankD Fist Pumps: Peter Mueller, C/LW, Col
102. Jobbin' with JD: Zach Bogosian, D, Atl
103. Cold Crush Crew: Steve Mason, G, Cls
104. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Scott Hartnell, LW, Phi
105. The Mearas: Brooks Laich, LW, Was
106. Back Door Burglar: Brian Campbell, D, Chi
107. puckNutz: Niklas Kronwall, D, Det
108. Blackwater Park: Ryan Smyth, LW, LA
Best pick: Mueller (101)
Mueller went on a monster run after being traded to Colorado last year; can he keep it up? If so, this is an awesome pick in the ninth.
Bust alert: Kronwall (107)
Not to be mean or anything, but what exactly does Kronwall do?
My pick: Markov (98)
Yeah, and my plan to snag only late-round sleeper defensemen is dashed. Eh.
Now we're into the shots in the dark, pretty much. The goalie pool is basically depleted - if you didn't get your starters already, you're in trouble. Also, Hartnell sucks.
109. Blackwater Park: Teemu Selanne, RW, Anh
110. puckNutz: Jakub Voracek, RW, Cls
111. Back Door Burglar: Tobias Enstrom, D, Atl
112. The Mearas: Brent Seabrook, D, Chi
113. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Jonas Gustavsson, G, Tor
114. Cold Crush Crew: Mason Raymond, LW, Van
115. Jobbin' with JD: Alexander Frolov, LW, NYR
116. FrankD Fist Pumps: Niclas Bergfors, RW, Atl
117. 5-Hole Molesters: P.K. Subban, D, Mon
118. Hoooookks: Michael Del Zotto, D, NYR
119. Young Guns: Wojtek Wolski, LW, Pho
120. Asham's Antagonists: Lubomir Visnovsky, D, Anh
Best pick: Voracek (110)
Several young players went in this round, and Voracek is one of my favorites. He'll get a crack at first-line minutes in Columbus.
Bust alert: Frolov (115)
Yeah, Frolov's going from a decent setup in LA to a bad one in New York. Work ethic concerns as well.
My pick: Wolski (119)
I really like Wolski as a sleeper. He shined greatly in Phoenix after the trade; will he stay a point-per-game player there?
As mentioned before, some younger players with potential get taken in this round.
121. Asham's Antagonists: Stephen Weiss, C, Fla
122. Young Guns: Marc Savard, C, Bos
123. Hoooookks: Taylor Hall, LW, Edm
124. 5-Hole Molesters: Kimmo Timonen, D, Phi
125. FrankD Fist Pumps: Milan Lucic, LW, Bos
126. Jobbin' with JD: Andrei Kostitsyn, LW, Mon
127. Cold Crush Crew: Nikita Filatov, LW, Cls
128. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Antti Niemi, G, SJ
129. The Mearas: Alexander Edler, D, Van
130. Back Door Burglar: Mike Knuble, RW, Was
131. puckNutz: Sheldon Souray, D, Edm
132. Blackwater Park: Jay Bouwmeester, D, Cgy
Best pick: Niemi (128)
If Niemi can assume the starting job in San Jose (I believe he will), this is a great value.
Bust alert: Souray (131)
Souray was dropped by puckNutz after the draft, in favor of Dennis Wideman.
My pick: Savard (122)
Someone mentioned in the draft chat that no one would show love for Savard, and in my infinite pity and kindness I decided to grab him. Not exactly a success strategy for fantasy sports, but hey.
Some even younger players begin leaving the board - our first rookie is taken.
133. Blackwater Park: Ryan Whitney, D, Edm
134. puckNutz: Mark Giordano, D, Cgy
135. Back Door Burglar: Mikael Samuelsson, RW, Van
136. The Mearas: Keith Yandle, D, Pho
137. Malkin's Stoli Stash: David Backes, RW, StL
138. Cold Crush Crew: Victor Hedman, D, TB
139. Jobbin' with JD: Nikolay Zherdev, RW, Phi
140. FrankD Fist Pumps: Jack Johnson, D, LA
141. 5-Hole Molesters: Matt Duchene, C, Col
142. Hoooookks: Jussi Jokinen, LW, Car
143. Young Guns: Erik Karlsson, D, Ott
144. Asham's Antagonists: Stephane Robidas, D, Dal
Best pick: Yandle (136)
I had my eye on Yandle before he was taken. Looks like a guy who get to 50 points from the D slot this year.
Bust alert: Robidas (144)
Robidas hasn't really ever been an offensive defenseman until this year - will he keep it up?
My pick: Karlsson (143)
I finally get my plan of late-round sleeper defensemen off the ground somewhat.
Several young defensemen get taken, and a bunch of decent wingers go as well.
145. Asham's Antagonists: Nik Antropov, C, Atl
146. Young Guns: Anton Stralman, D, Cls
147. Hoooookks: Devin Setoguchi, RW, SJ
148. 5-Hole Molesters: Mike Comrie, C/LW, Pit
149. FrankD Fist Pumps: Mikko Koivu, C, Min
150. Jobbin' with JD: Pascal Leclaire, G, Ott
151. Cold Crush Crew: Mike Ribiero, C, Dal
152. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Ryane Clowe, LW, SJ
153. The Mearas: Jamie Benn, LW, Dal
154. Back Door Burglar: Shane Doan, RW, Pho
155. puckNutz: Tim Connolly, C, Buf
156. Blackwater Park: Olli Jokinen, C, Cgy
Best pick: Stralman (146)
Eh, why not flatter myself on one pick. Stralman has a pretty decent upside, which is more than can be said of some picks here.
Bust alert: Comrie (148)
I like Comrie as much as the next guy, but is he really better than Mikko Koivu?
My pick: Stralman (146)
My plan to grab late-round defensemen continues.
Sleepers and fringies.
157. Blackwater Park: Chris Mason, G, Atl
158. puckNutz: Guillaume Latendresse, LW, Min
159. Back Door Burglar: Ed Jovanovski, D, Pho
160. The Mearas: Rene Bourque, RW, Cgy
161. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Marek Zidlicky, D, Min
162. Cold Crush Crew: Tomas Holmstrom, RW, Det
163. Jobbin' with JD: Claude Giroux, RW, Phi
164. FrankD Fist Pumps: Chris Kunitz, LW, Pit
165. 5-Hole Molesters: Dustin Brown, RW, LA
166. Hoooookks: Paul Martin, D, Pit
167. Young Guns: Brad Boyes, RW, StL
168. Asham's Antagonists: Jamie Langenbrunner, RW, NJ
Best pick: Brown (165)
Another guy I had anticipated taking as a sleeper, before he got taken before my pick.
Bust alert: Jovanovski (159)
Jovanovski's been declining for a while now.
My pick: Boyes (167)
Hopefully, Boyes is young enough to recover his lost scoring spark.
This round, honestly, featured better talent than the year before. Funny how that can go sometimes.
169. Asham's Antagonists: Jordan Staal, C, Pit
170. Young Guns: Ryan Malone, LW, TB
171. Hoooookks: Dustin Byfuglien, RW/D, Atl
172. 5-Hole Molesters: Michael Leighton, G, Phi
173. FrankD Fist Pumps: Brian Gionta, RW, Mon
174. Jobbin' with JD: Alexei Ponikarovsky, LW, LA
175. Cold Crush Crew: Dan Ellis, G, TB
176. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Pavel Kubina, D, TB
177. The Mearas: Brandon Dubinsky, C, NYR
178. Back Door Burglar: Kurtis Foster, D, Edm
179. puckNutz: Mathieu Carle, D, Mon
180. Blackwater Park: Ville Leino, LW, Phi
Best pick: Staal (169)
Once he comes back from injury in November, Staal could find himself on a line with Malkin. That's a recipe for success.
Bust alert: Carle (179)
Doesn't look like Carle will play in the NHL this year.
My pick: Malone (170)
Malone figures to be a sure shot for 25 goals and 25 assists.
Not much to say - we're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.
181. Blackwater Park: Kyle Okposo, RW, NYI
182. puckNutz: Steve Downie, RW, TB
183. Back Door Burglar: Matt Moulson, LW, NYI
184. The Mearas: Evander Kane, LW, Atl
185. Malkin's Stoli Stash: Steve Ott, C, Dal
186. Cold Crush Crew: James Wisniewski, D, NYI
187. Jobbin' with JD: Jordan Eberle, C, Edm
188. FrankD Fist Pumps: Eric Tangradi, C, Pit
189. 5-Hole Molesters: Marc Staal, D, NYR
190. Hoooookks: Michal Neuvirth, G, Was
191. Young Guns: Brian Elliott, G, Ott
192. Asham's Antagonists: Joni Pitkanen, D, Car
Best pick: Downie (182)
Downie's a jagoff, but he produces in several categories.
Bust alert: Neuvirth (190)
Can't see Neuvirth as more than a backup this year, unless Varlamov gets hurt.
My pick: Elliott (191)
Elliott figures to get around 30 starts, which works just fine for me as my #3 goalie.
Several prospects went in the last round, and Mr. Irrelevant is a three-time 40-point defenseman. Interesting end to an interesting draft.
Well, that just about does it. Good luck to everyone in Pensburgh League A!