PITTSBURGH, PA - SEPTEMBER 22: Craig Adams #27 of the Pittsburgh Penguins celebrates his third period goal against the Chicago Blackhawks during a preseason game at Consol Energy Center on September 22, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Penguins defeated the Blackhawks 4-1. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Earlier this week I made mention of the fact that I felt preseason hockey marked the unofficial switch to "on" for the hockey season. Well, if Pittsburgh's two wins weren't enough to get you in the mood, then perhaps the ramped up media coverage will start to give you a good feel for it.
You know it's hockey season when you open up Google Reader and your "Penguins News" tab is flooded with more than one story about the team. This past summer it was the obligatory "Crosby Update," but in offseasons past you've seen everything from arena updates, "where are they now" vignettes and prospect features.
With that said, here's what's cooking around the Pittsburgh media today as the Pens head up to their 3:00 meeting today against the Minnesota Wild.
- A recent injury may have punched Jason Williams' ticket to start the season in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Has to be frustrating, but at least he's taking the slow road to return and not rushing it to impress coaches.
- Steve Sullivan "fits" well with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. Unfortunately we have to still wait and see for a little while on that front.
- Sidney Crosby is upping the intensity level. According to this story he even took some contact, although I can't imagine it was more than a few bumps and pushes here or there.
- The razing of Mellon Arena begins Monday. Pour an ounce out for your homie this weekend.
- Nick Johnson may have a spot on the wing with his name on it. Can't say he didn't earn it, but also can't say for sure when he's going to assume that role. Tony Granato likes what he sees, but it may not mean an immediate start for Johnson.