It has been 5,980 days since the Pittsburgh Penguins have won a game at San Jose (10/22/1997).
In that game, a 5-2 win, the Pens were lead by none other than Jaromir Jagr with a goal and two assists. Some other notable names in the Pens lineup that night? Rob Brown, Darius Kasparaitis, Ron Francis, Martin Straka and future coach Ed Olczyk. Old friend Tom Barrasso made 20 saves on 22 shots to record the win. Among those lacing 'em up for San Jose that night? Current Pens assistant Tony Granato (who had an assist in the losing effort). You can check out the box-score here.
Since that night, the Penguins are 0-8-2 while playing in San Jose over the years but have a chance to erase the number back to 0 with a win tonight against the Sharks.
Other facts about 10/22/1997:
- The #1 one single in the land was "Candle in the Wind" by Elton John, dedicated to the late Princess Diana who passed away a few weeks earlier.
- The #1 movie at the box office was the hit "I Know What You Did Last Summer" starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddie Prinze Jr.
- The Cleveland Indians defeated the Florida Marlins 10-3 in Game 4 of the World Series (which tied it 2-2). Florida would go on to win in seven games.
- Wayne Gretzky's wife, Janet, got knocked out in a freak accident when Ulf Samuelsson (because who else would that happen to) made a routine bodycheck that popped out a piece of the glass and fell on Janet's head.
- Your friendly Pensburgh manager was in 8th grade.
- Sidney Crosby was 10 year old.
- Olli Maatta was 3 years old.
So yeah, it's been a while. Hopefully this post doesn't have to be dragged up next season and look even older. Go Pens.