Just a few notes to follow up Pittsburgh's first preseason game of the season.
- Mathieu Garon started in net for Columbus while Marc-Andre Fleury got the nod for Pittsburgh.
- As is the case with most pre-season hockey, the game saw its first fight before the first goal. Pittsburgh's Engelland with the knockdown over Dough Lynch.
- Shortly after fight two breaks out - Eric Godard vs. Tom Sestito, just as Hooks called it. Godard gets the knockdown.
- Columbus started putting some heavy pressure on Fleury, beating him for three straight. Jakub Voracek tipped in the first one, while Maksim Mayorov knocked in the next two to make it 3-0 Columbus.
- After the second period both team switched out goalies. Brad Thiessen in for Pittsburgh, Dan LaCosta in for Columbus.
- Lot's of great chemistry out there between Eric Tangradi and Sidney Crosby, who connected for Pittsburgh's first goal of the game, beating Columbus's LaCosta. That same connection missed earlier on when Sid dished it to ET but he hit the post. Tangradi also laid out Jared Boll and drew an interference call to put the Pens on the PP.
- Sid fired back again for his second of the night to make it 3-2, followed up by a Chris Connor goal to tie it up at three.
- With less than three minutes left Columbus takes the lead on a goal from Alex Picard, who hacked away at a rebound in front of Thiessen.
- Before the announcer could even call the goal, Chris Kunitz answers back and ties it at four. He'd later pick up the game-winner in overtime, capping off the night for Pittsburgh in typical comeback fashion.
Player stats after the jump.
Sidney Crosby - 2G, 1 A
Chris Kunitz - 2G
Chris Conner - 1G
Eric Tangradi - 2A
Jay McKee - 1A
Mark Eaton - 1A
Sergei Gonchar - 1A