Here are a few headlines for your summer weekend. By the time Monday rolls around we'll have officially cracked into August, thus bringing us ever closer to the start of the NHL season.
First, courtesy of SBN Hockey:
- Zach Parise signed a one-year deal with the Devils worth a reported $6 million. All in all the team managed to avoid arbitration, but it'll be interesting to see where he stands at the end of the season.
- You know it's a slow summer day when I find the need to link to this: the Devils have sent Brian Rolston to the Islanders in exchange for Trent Hunter. That is all.
Quick hit from PuckDaddy:
- PuckDaddy looks ahead and ranks the league's Top 30 goaltenders. Spoiler alert: Marc-Andre Fleury cracks the Top 10, even though all but one of the players ranked ahead of him have yet to win a Cup.
- Scott Burnside reports that Nikolai Khabibulin will not serve prison time for his DUI conviction, outside of the first 48 hours of jail time. Then he will spend the final 15 days of his sentence under house arrest. Here's to hoping the ankle bracelet is actually the size of a goalie pad...
- Mark Recchi is still on Cloud 9.
- This cropped up last week but I didn't really feel the need to talk about it just yet (I mean, it's not that big of a headline), but the Penguins were allegedly named as a finalist to host the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. According to the Sporting News, the NHL says that is not the case.