The preseason grinds on with tonight's game between the Pittsburgh Penguins (0-1-1 in preseason play) and the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks.
It's an important game for several members of the Penguins roster who are fighting for very limited roster spots and also to show that they belong in the team's plans down the line when it's time to call-up an injury replacement.
As reported all around, here are the lines the Pens used in practice today and are expected to run tonight
Chris Kunitz- Sidney Crosby-Chuck Kobasew
Beau Bennett-Brandon Sutter-Matt D'Agostini
Jayson Megna-Joe Vitale-Dustin Jeffrey
Steve MacIntyre-Zach Sill-Adam Payerl
Simon Despres-Matt Niskanen
Robert Bortuzzo-Brendan Mikkelson
Deryk Engelland-Derrick Pouliot
- (Philip Samuelsson rotating in)What a chance for Chuck Kobasew. He's on a tryout contract, but his two goal game in his first and only Penguin preseason game to date has obviously opened some eyes and has bought him a bigger chance tonight. There's no chance Kobasew replaces Pascal Dupuis on the first game of the season, but getting a chance to play with Sidney Crosby is a pretty special opportunity and it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.
- The "second" line tonight could well be a combination that the Pens try to use in regular season games as a third line in the regular season over the course of the season.
- The "third" line tonight could also be one or two of the 4th line components on opening night, with veteran Craig Adams (not playing tonight) a lock to round out that line.
- Another showcase game for Niskanen?
- Gotta be the first "Deryk and Derrick" pairing in NHL history right?
Let's go Pens!