``Nothing in the first period, where the Pens were out-shot 13-11.
``In the second period, the Coyotes struck first after the Pens let their guard down, thinking the play was offsides, but it wasn't, because Ian Cole brought the puck back into his defensive zone. Too many Pens then got sucked in looking at the puck and Anthony Duclair made a great centering pass to Tobias Rieder who was all alone out in front.
Rieder goal pic.twitter.com/exEjyOKAMO— Stephanie (@myregularface) October 11, 2015
``Before Arizona could celebrate to much, the Pens struck for their first foal of the season. Phil Kessel , y'all.
Kessel goal pic.twitter.com/ONXg3o6HO0— Stephanie (@myregularface) October 11, 2015
``The tie wouldn't last long, about two game minutes later the Coyotes would strike again. Not sure what Ben Lovejoy is thinking here, trying to lay on the ice, instead of the smarter play of actually playing a man.
Martinook goal pic.twitter.com/N7yP3jRh8f— Stephanie (@myregularface) October 11, 2015
And, unfortunately that would be it. Mike Smith would buckle down and stop all 11 shots the Pens threw at him in the third period, including several great shots, to seal up the victory.
- A little bit unlucky for the Pens' rookies tonight. Daniel Sprong hit a post in the first period, Sergei Plotnikov did in the 3rd.
- Reason to be happy: Pittsburgh won't leave the eastern time-zone again for a game until January 6th.
- I'm not sure this is a good excuse, but the Pens open the season in Dallas (random, zzz) then play literally in the desert for Game 2. Almost seems like an extension of the preseason. Granted, it's not, but it's almost understandable that they would come out looking flat.
- Nick Bonino got robbed by Mike Smith with about 11 minutes in the game. Sometimes it happens.
- Steve Downie penalty minute count: 4.
- The Pens finally abandoned their idiotic decision to split the talent on the power play. Such a decision stapled Evgeni Malkin to the bench for all but 1:13 of the first 4:00 that Pittsburgh had with the man advantage. Gonna be hard to score a PP goal with the best players sitting.