Conor Sheary scores his first NHL goal on a nice pass from Sidney Crosby to open the scoring in the first period.
Conor Sheary's first NHL goal, 1-0 Pens pic.twitter.com/hPCgchLO7Y— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
The Pens lead wouldn't last long, hey Jeff Zatkoff what are thoooose?
Vatrano goal, 1-1 pic.twitter.com/5vdVdG1E8c— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
Pens get a power play early in the second period, start it out for their second unit for some unknown reason (more below) and barf barf barf.
Bergeron goal pic.twitter.com/d21ykrFmbQ— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
After that vomit inducing sequence, Trevor Daley took a pass from Crosby and hammered one home short-side on Tuukka Rask for his first goal of the season, and first goal as a Penguin.
Trevor Daley goal, tie game again pic.twitter.com/3nQGhBzy4h— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
Bruins take a 3-2 lead with Zatkoff, doing, um, something.
Eriksson goal pic.twitter.com/UdR9Yel1Mw— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
Then 4-2 Bruins in the 3rd period with a shot off the back glass the Zatkoff can't track. Hey, why start now?
Bergeron again, assist to crazy bounce off the glass. 4-2 Bruins pic.twitter.com/bEfhdhg3F1— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
Zatkoff + Warsofky = very bad.
Vatrano makes it 5-2 Bruins pic.twitter.com/4zBDlio9Fj— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
Shortly after in the comedy of errors a 3on1 and, well, you know what's gonna happen
hat trick for Vatrano pic.twitter.com/nxbgkCXFPa— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 19, 2015
- The question "what's wrong with Crosby?" has been asked a million times. One thing that is wrong; not enough of his wingers have finished chances that he creates. Kudos to Sheary for doing that on the opening goal.
- GM Jim Rutherford publicly questioned the decision to scratch Daniel Sprong a couple weeks ago, just 3 games in, new coach Mike Sullivan scratches Sprong. Welp!
- After the last note, not to pile on Sullivan (who says he runs the PP now) but the Pens draw a power play early in the 2nd period by the Crosby line. They pull Sid off. Leave Sheary on. Put David Warsofsky on (as the lone defenseman). Leave Evgeni Malkin (who had been on the bench all of the early period) on the bench. Give up a goal. Why again did he start the JV unit?
- Zatkoff with the first time in his NHL games starting consecutive games, and you can see why he's been shielded. Didn't look comfortable, fighting the puck a lot and a bunch of those goals he gave up weren't what you'd hope for. He didn't get a ton of support, but awful night for him.
- Big hit for Patric Hornqvist on Ryan Spooner , but other than that way too quiet a night. PH72 on the 3rd line just isn't a winning proposition.
- David Warsofsky mis-adventure on the top power play of the night: bringing the puck off-side for no reason when receiving a pass. 0 shots generated with him on the top unit again. 0 idea what he's still doing there.
- Pens PP going 0 for 3 early really hurt in the long run. Giving up the first shorty of the year was a back-breaker too.
- Not much went well, but Olli Maatta was really good on an extended 3v4 in the 3rd period, to try and point one positive.
- The Pens look like a beer league team on defense. Not a lot of hustle or effort tonight, even trying to get in the way or anything. Big challenge for the new coach.
- Might be a good thing to play again tomorrow, just get back at it and hopefully be better. Can't be much worse.