The Penguins prospects at Development Camp played a scrimmage game open to the fans on Saturday afternoon.
Impressive crowd at the prospects scrimmage really adds to the atmosphere of the game - best fans in the league - we are fortunate.— Mike Johnston (@MikeJohnstonHC) July 18, 2015
- Ty Loney was the star of the day, scoring a hat trick, but it's always fun to see how certain prospects look, when stacked up against one another, especially seeing how some have higher expectations.
Here are the teams for today. pic.twitter.com/vq7rsrZ9NS— Jason Mackey (@Mackey_Trib) July 18, 2015
- Team White played a little bit better. (via Reddit)
Goals from Ty Loney (3), Anton Zlobin, Dominik Simon (2)
- Video highlights courtesy of the Penguins
- The Pittsburgh Tribune Review's Jonathan Bombulie, with a nice breakdown of the scrimmage
It started as an intrasquad scrimmage to end the Penguins’ annual development camp. It ended as an episode of the Maury Povich Show.
As in, with all due respect to Troy Loney, "This kid who had a hat trick in the scrimmage and then won the shootout with a filthy Patrick Kane-style dangle, he’s related to Troy Loney? With those hands? Shouldn’t someone do a paternity test?"
I’m just kidding, of course. I’m sure Troy was very proud of his son Ty after he was the star of the show today, scoring three goals to lead his team to a 6-0 victory. It’s important to note that Ty had four points in five games in a late-season AHL stint with Norfolk last year. He’s on an AHL contract with the Penguins, but he might be closer to the NHL than we realize.
- Ty Loney's nice shootout goal (via Reddit)
- Derrick Pouliot was the other star of the day, along side Ty Loney
This is unfair for the non Derrick Pouliot players.— Ian Altenbaugh (@IanAltenbaugh) July 18, 2015
White team wins 6-0. Pouliot the difference. Waa on ice for most goals, controlled play whenever he was on ice.— Ian Altenbaugh (@IanAltenbaugh) July 18, 2015
- Jason Mackey of the Tribune-Review also had a nice write-up on the scrimmage
Troy Loney won a pair of Stanley Cups with the Penguins, but his son, Ty, did something dad never did while wearing black and gold: score a hat trick.
A 23-year-old forward the Penguins signed to an American Hockey League contract this summer, Ty Loney scored three goals and added another in the shootout during the Penguins' development camp-ending scrimmage Saturday at Consol Energy Center.
- Our own Eric Bowser was at the scrimmage and broke down what he thought of the prospects here.
Saturday's scrimmage among the Penguins prospects and invited participants was highlighted by a familiar name as Ty Loney, yes that Loney, notched a hat trick in regulation and a shootout goal in Team White's 6-0 regulation pasting of Team Black at Consol Energy Center.
- Eric Majeski, who moonlights here during the season with his 'Talking to Myself' pieces, did a write-up for DK on Pittsburgh Sports ($)
Before I get into what went on out there, I’m going to open with a bit of a disclaimer: This was just a summer prospect scrimmage. It’s hockey in July; take what you read at face value. These are all prospects skating against other prospects. No one made the NHL today and none of the Penguins’ picks are busts now, either.
This scrimmage was a little weird for me. This was the first year I was not able to get down for any of the practices that led up to it. It’s not a big deal though, because I usually go into these things just watching and waiting to see who jumps out.
All in all, a lot of good opinions out there from people who watch prospects and know their game a LOT more than I do.
If you see any write-ups out there that I don't have, feel free to drop a link in the comments and I'll add it into the piece.