The game starts with a bang for the Pens, Sidney Crosby shoots it on net, the puck eludes the goalie and Patric Hornqvist is there to slam it home. 1-0 just 30 seconds into the game.
Sound the Horn(qvist)! The #Pens tally the first goal of the game. Full replay: https://t.co/3aicF4JzPf pic.twitter.com/nshzNDv42j— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) March 5, 2016
The lead wouldn't last long due to Joe Colborne using a foot to deflect in a Sam Bennett shot past Marc-Andre Fleury just 1:27 later.
Colborne goal (1:58 of the 1st period) pic.twitter.com/I627LjKVue— Stephanie (@myregularface) March 5, 2016
The Pens would take a 2-1 lead with a nice redirect by Sidney Crosby in front of the net.
Sidney Crosby nets his 27th of the season, a deflection from right in front. Replay: https://t.co/eKf0Fx7KE3 pic.twitter.com/Hxb5K1NQxO— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) March 5, 2016
It would be downhill from there just 1:29 later with Flames captain Mark Giordano found some space and blew a puck by Fleury to tie it up.
Giordano goal pic.twitter.com/V0GZ0qiRFF— Stephanie (@myregularface) March 5, 2016
Mikael Backlund would put Calgary up to stay later in the second with a nice redirection of a Dougie Hamilton pass.
Backlund goal pic.twitter.com/uWr4fmf8Rw— Stephanie (@myregularface) March 5, 2016
The Flames salted the win away with Lance Bouma 's second goal of the season to make it the 4-2 final.
Bouma goal pic.twitter.com/3zfmd3O2gL— Stephanie (@myregularface) March 5, 2016
- Very choppy first period with 23 faceoffs. Lots of starts and stoppages in an afternoon game.
Carl Hagelin left the game bloodied in the first period after getting lined up with a big check from Josh Jooris and wouldn't return. This would mark the second straight game the Pens had to play a forward short due to an in-game injury, though Hagelin would return halfway through the second.
- Sullivan tried to press the buttons when Hagelin came back, putting Chris Kunitz on the Evgeni Malkin - Phil Kessel line and bumping Hagelin up with Crosby and Patric Hornqvist.
- Disappointing game for the Pens, it almost seemed like after scoring so early against a non-playoff team they would coast to victory. Not so much.
- Scary penalty with Tom Kuhnhackl high-sticking on what what looked like the eye area of a Flame. He didn't return, hopefully is ok.
- Josh Archibald got 5:02 in his first NHL game, showed some nice speed but otherwise wasn't that noticeable.
- Bad job by the Pens standing around on a couple goals against. Wasn't on Fleury to give up 4 and that's what makes it frustrating. This game was probably in the "should win" category, and they laid an egg, so the playoff positioning suffers.
Oh gosh, a New Jersey game is next. On the second end of a back-to-back. Is a 2-1 loss ahead in a boring game, or will they spring to life and salvage the weekend? Time will tell.