The Sens open the scoring in the first period with all-world defenseman Erik Karlsson taking a shot from the point that takes a bad bounce off the skate of Patric Hornqvist and into the net past Matt Murray.
Imposter wearing a 68 jersey Mike Hoffman makes it 2-0 on a nice shot for his 29th goal of the seasson
GIF: Hoffman's 29th of the year. pic.twitter.com/xQrx7a1UTh— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) April 6, 2016
Zack Smith scores on his birthday to make it 3-zippy early in the 2nd period and things were looking bad for the Pens. Until the rally.
Hornqvist gets the Pens on the board by taking the puck to the net and somehow stuffing it by Andrew Hammond.
The Pens make it 3-2 with Sidney Crosby picking up some loose change and backhanding the puck in.
Carl Hagelin ties the game with a backhand of his own, off a pass from Nick Bonino
Hagelin puts the Pens up with another backhand shot.
Crosby finishes it off with an empty netter. Pens win 5-3.
- Another less than sharp start, with the Pens down 3-0 23 minutes into the game. Murray wasn't bad, but the team wasn't good. But they held in there and kept battling.
- In the head-to-head Norris battle, Letang had 2 assists and was a +1. Karlsson scored a goal but was a -3. Sort of indicative of the season, Karlsson is really good, but he doesn't prevent goals against. Letang is really good and mostly good things happen while he's on the ice.
- 3 assist game for Bonino, but a quiet one (not to take anything away from him). He's doing well to pass the puck to his wingers, but not really driving a bunch of plays, really.
- Another strong game for Justin Schultz with an assist. When the Pens have the puck in the offensive zone and he's on the ice, he's making moves. They're using him sparingly and picking and choosing spots, but for the best and he's playing well.
- With 3 shots on goal in 9:47, a very visible game for Conor Sheary to flash with his speed. He took a high-stick too but appeared no worse for wear.
- Pens PK went 4/4 including a crucial 1:37 time spent on a 3v5 in the third period when the game was tied 3-3. Really turned the course of the game.
- 13 wins in the last 14 games for Pittsburgh. The lads are just on fire.
Pittsburgh gets to enjoy this win but the roadie continues with another game against the Caps - and a chance to win the season series against the league's best team over the course of the whole season.