We’re only two games into the 2018-19 Penguins season, and already a new franchise record has been set, breaking a mark that has been set in Penguins history for 27 years. That milestone, of course, would be the all-time points leader by defenseman. With his assist on Riley Sheahan’s second period goal against his hometown Montreal Canadiens, Kris Letang surpassed Hall of Famer Paul Coffey’s 440 career points with Pittsburgh. It took Letang over twice as many games — 684 to Coffey’s 331 — but Letang should play long enough for his record to stand for at least another 27 years.
Some of the greatest players in the NHL have come through Pittsburgh since Mario Lemieux was drafted first overall in 1984. Whether being drafted to Pittsburgh, or coming over via various other ways, the Penguins’ franchise career leaders are riddled with many current or future Hall of Fame-caliber players. Here’s the updated list of franchise records heading into the Penguins’ 51st NHL season:
- Mario Lemieux - 915
- Sidney Crosby - 866
- Jaromir Jagr - 806
- Evgeni Malkin - 786
- Jean Pronovost - 753
*Kris Letang needs to play 70 more games to pass J. Pronovost. Letang is currently 8th with 684 games played.
- M. Lemieux - 1,723
- S. Crosby - 1,118
- J. Jagr - 1,079
- E. Malkin - 933
- Rick Kehoe - 636
- M. Lemieux - 690
- J. Jagr - 439
- S. Crosby - 411
- E. Malkin - 371
- J. Pronovost - 316
- J. Jagr - 78
- M. Lemieux - 74
- E. Malkin - 63
- S. Crosby - 57
- J. Pronovost - 42
Power Play Goals:
- M. Lemiex - 236
- E. Malkin - 133
- S. Crosby - 124
- Kevin Stevens & J. Jagr - 110
- M. Lemieux - 1,033
- S. Crosby - 707
- J. Jagr - 640
- E. Malkin - 562
- Ron Francis - 449
Sidney Crosby - 866 GP, 411 G, 707 A, 622 PIM, 57 GWG (13% of career goals)
- Playoffs: 166 GP, 66 G, 119A, 77 PIM, 9 GWG (13% of playoff goals)
- 34 games away from 900 in his career.
- Needs to play 50 games to surpass M. Lemieux (915) for most regular season games in franchise history.
- 29 goals away from passing J. Jagr (440) for 2nd in franchise history.
- Currently 61st all-time in points in NHL history.
- Only Alex Ovechkin (1,125), Patrick Marleau (1,133), and Joe Thornton (1,428) are the current players who have more points than Crosby.
- 605 points behind M. Lemieux (1,723) for franchise points leader.
- Franchise leader in playoff games played - 160.
- Surpassed M. Lemieux (172) for most playoff points in franchise history last spring - 185.
- Needs 11 goals to surpass M. Lemieux (76) for franchise lead in playoff goals.
- Tied with Steve Yzerman for 10th most career playoff points in NHL history.
- Needs 16 points to surpass J. Jagr (201) for 5th most playoff points in NHL history.
Evgeni Malkin - 786 GP, 371 G, 562 A, 813 PIM, 63 GWG (17% of career goals)
- Playoffs: 158 GP, 62 G, 103 A, 216 PIM, 12 GWG (19% of playoff goals)
- 8 points will surpass Jason Arnott for 100th in the history of the NHL with 939.
- 14 games away from 800 in his career.
- 67 points away from 1,000 career points.
- Needs to play 21 games to surpass J. Jagr (806) for 3rd in franchise history in games played.
- Needs to play 130 more games to surpass M. Lemieux (915), the current games played leader in franchise history.
- Currently 80 games played behind S. Crosby (866).
- Needs 29 goals to reach 400 career goals.
- Currently 40 goals behind S. Crosby for 3rd in franchise history.
- Needs 69 goals to surpass J. Jagr (439) for 2nd most in franchise history.
- Currently 8th in franchise history with 813 PIM. .
- Franchise playoff PIM leader with 216.
- Trails M. Lemieux (172) by 7 playoff points.
- 4 playoff goals will surpass J. Jagr (65) for 3rd most in franchise history.
- 4 playoff goals behind S. Crosby (66) for 2nd most in franchise history.
- 14 playoff goals behind M. Lemieux (76) for most in franchise history.
- Currently 5th most points by a Russian player in NHL history (933)
1. Sergei Federov - 1,178 pts
2. Alex Ovechkin - 1,125 pts
3. Alexander Mogilny - 1,032
4. Alexei Kovalev - 1,029
- Needs 12 playoff points to surpass Sergei Federov (176) in playoff points by a Russian player.
- Current goals by a Russian player leader with 62 playoff goals.
- Leads Alex Ovechkin by one playoff goal.
- Currently played the third most playoff games by Russian player (158).
- Trails Sergei Zubov by 6 playoff games for 2nd most in NHL history by a Russian player.
- Trails Sergei Federov by 25 playoff games for most in NHL history by a Russian player.
Kris Letang - 684 GP, 98 G, 343 A, 494 PIM, 20 GWG (20% of career goals)
- Playoffs: 128 GP, 21 G, 58 A, 134 PIM, 5 GWG (24% of playoff goals)
- Penguins franchise leader in points by defenseman (441).
- Penguins franchise leader in playoff points by defenseman (78).
- Needs to play 20 games to surpass Brooks Orpik (703) for most by defenseman in franchise history.
- Needs to play 70 games to surpass J. Pronovost (753) for 5th most in franchise history.
- 2 goals away from 100 career goals.
- 11 goals will surpass Paul Coffey (108) for most in franchise history by defenseman.
- 59 points away from 500 career points.
- Needs 2 points to surpass Martin Straka (442) for 10th most in franchise history.
Phil Kessel - 248 GP, 83 G, 140 A, 76 PIM, 15 GWG (18% of career goals)
- Playoffs: 60 GP, 19 G, 35 A, 8 PIM, 2 GWG (11% of playoff goals)
- 794 games played in a row.
- 84 games away from 1,000 in his career.
- 57 points away from 800 in his career.
- 31 hits in 248 regular season games (.125 per game, or 1 every 8 games).
- 17 goals away from 100 as a Penguins player.
- 77 points away from 300 as a Penguins player.
- 2nd most points (743) by an active American player behind Patrick Kane (834).
- 2nd most playoff points (75) by an active American player behind Patrick Kane (123).
Matt Cullen - 156 GP, 29 G, 34 A, 50 PIM, 6 GWG (21% of career goals)
- Playoffs: 49 GP, 6 G, 9 A, 32 PIM, 2 GWG (33% of playoff goals)
- Oldest active player in the NHL. Turns 42 on November 2.
- Only Cullen and Zdeno Chara remain from the (very disappointing) 1996 NHL Draft
- Passed Daniel Briere (696) as the highest scoring player from that draft last season with Minnesota (711 points as of 10/8/18)
- Played the 3rd most games(1,447) out of active NHL players, trailing Patrick Marleau (1,578) and Joe Thornton (1,495).
- Needs to play 41 more games to surpass Wayne Gretzky’s 1,487 career games.
- Played 4th most games by American born player, and active NHL leader.
- Needs to play 53 more games to surpass Mike Modano (1,499) for 2nd most by an American born player.
- Needs to play 49 more games to surpass Phil Housley (1,495) for 3rd most by an American born player.
Mike Sullivan, 131-67-22 (.645 points%) regular season record; 38-23 (.623 win%) playoff record
- Currently 7th most games coached in franchise history.
- Will reach 300 games coached if he coaches in every game, which would put him in 3rd for games coached in franchise history.
- Trails Michel Therrien (135) by 4 coaching wins in franchise history.
- Trails only Dan Bylsma (.668) in pts percentage in franchise history
- Needs 6 playoff wins to surpass Dan Bylsma (43) for most in franchise history
- .603 career playoff win percentage is highest among all active coaches in the NHL.
- .603 career playoff win percentage is 8th all-time in NHL history. Minimum 8 wins