clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

On This Date in Pens History: Pittsburgh Swept Boston for Repeat Conference Final Trophy

The Penguins won the Prince of Wales Trophy for the second year in a row in the early 1990s.

Photo by Bob Donaldson/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Twenty-six years ago, the Pittsburgh Penguins faced the Boston Bruins in the Prince of Wales Conference Final (now known as the Eastern Conference Final). It was the second year that they faced the Bruins in the Conference Final, having defeated the Bruins in six games during the 1991 playoffs.

Pittsburgh entered Game 4 in Boston leading the series 3-0 and were eager to sweep the Bruins. Boston was desperate to avoid regulation against the Penguins, as had happened the year before.

That was not to be the case, however, as Pittsburgh got on the board early in the first period thanks to a goal from Jaromir Jagr at 4:51.

The first period was, by far, the most chaotic period of the game. Pittsburgh scored twice in under 10 minutes, which sent Boston tempers flaring. Both teams combined for a staggering 33 minutes of penalties within the first 20 minutes of the game. Rick Tocchet picked up nine minutes combined for instigating and fighting, while Boston incurred 15 minutes for fighting and roughing. The second period saw a sharp decrease in penalties — down to four minutes — and, unbelievably, no penalties were recorded in the final period of the game.

Mario Lemieux scored the game-winning goal at 13:09 in the first period. His short-handed goal stunned the Boston defense. Check out the video below starting at 2:38 for his deft puck skills.

Paul Stanton scored early in the second period for the Penguins to put them up 3-0. Lemieux scored once more in the second period, and Dave Michayluk had the fifth goal for Pittsburgh in the third period. Boston’s lone goal was at 5:53 in the third period by Stephen Leach.

Tom Barrasso, the Penguins goaltender, posted a .967 save percentage and stopped 29 out of 30 shots, while Boston’s goaltender — Andy Moog — had a .800 save percentage and allowed five goals on 25 shots.

Pittsburgh won the match 5-1 and swept the Prince of Wales Conference Final 4-0. They went on to face the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final, whom they swept in four games for their second back-to-back Stanley Cup.