The last two weeks have been a whirlwind for the Pittsburgh Penguins organization. From game postponements due to surging COVID-19 cases around the NHL to the hiring of two new front office faces, the Pens have made sure to keep everyone on their toes.
Garrett is riding solo this week, but is still here to break everything down.
- The podcast kicks off with a recap of the January 11 game against the New York Islanders. The Penguins have played just three games since the start of February due to game postponements, meaning the team will now be forced to play 44 games in an 84-day stretch to finish the regular season:
Starting on Feb. 14, the Penguins play 44 games in an 84-day stretch to finish season— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_PGH) February 6, 2021
• 8 back to back sets
• 4 stretches of 2 consecutive days off
• 8 games apiece against NJ and Buff
• 6 games apiece against Caps, Bruins, Flyers and Islanders
• 4 games against Rangers
- Switching gears away from the on-ice product, the organization has now found its new General Manager and President of Hockey Operations in Ron Hextall and Brian Burke respectively.
Hextall and Burke are no strangers to NHL front offices, so we try to examine what roles both men will have in shaping the future of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Late Wednesday night, a tweet was sent out from Vegas-based radio personality Brian Blessing:
Does a Marc-Andre Fleury reunion make sense? Realistically, how would the Penguins fit Fleury’s cap hit of $7 million into their plans, if at all?
And finally, the podcast reaches its conclusion with our mailbag segment.
Will Brian Burke ever wear a tie in a normal fashion? Should Evgeni Malkin get demoted to a bottom-six role? Is Mike Sullivan on the hot seat with a new GM in town?
Answers to these questions and many more in this week’s PensBurgh Podcast:
Make sure to also follow us on Twitter all season long to get updated every time a new episode drops: @PensburghPod
Intro/Outro music courtesy of: Sylendanna.
Track title - Online Now! & I Think Its The Way I Walk