That’s how long it’s been since the Pittsburgh Penguins were forever changed — the day they drafted Sidney Crosby with the 1st overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
It was eight days earlier that the Penguins won the draft lottery, learning they would have the first overall pick and be able to select Crosby.
Just to show what a crap-shoot the draft can be sometimes, a few other names who were selected in the first 10 picks of that draft?
Benoit Pouliot, Gilbert Brule, Jack Skille, and Brian Lee. I’ve gotta be honest, I don’t even know who Brian Lee is.
So, what has Crosby done since being drafted by the Penguins?
Oh, you know, just a few things like:
- Three-time Stanley Cup winner
- Two-time Conn Smythe Trophy winner
- Eight-time NHL All-Star
- Two-time Hart Trophy winner
- Three-time Ted Lindsay Award winner
- Two-time Art Ross Trophy winner
- Two-time Rocket Richard winner
- Two-time Olympic gold medalist
- 1039 NHL games played
- 486 goals scored
- 839 assists
- 1,325 points scored
Not too shabby!
What's your favorite Sidney Crosby memory during his career here in Pittsburgh so far?