The Penguins announced that they will be hosting several theme nights as well as numerous promotional giveaways during the upcoming season.
The team will host five theme nights, scheduled for the following dates:
- October 28th - Penguins vs. Calgary Flames - 90’s Night
- December 14th - Penguins vs. Montreal Canadiens - Star Wars Night
- December 21st - Penguins vs. New Jersey Devils - 80’s Night
- January 20th - Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators - 70’s Night
- April 12th - Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets - Pittsburgh Night
Are theme nights your thing? For me, they aren’t, but if I had to rank them in terms of which would be the most fun to attend, I would rank them as follows:
90’s Night. I consider myself “old,” and us old folks have a greater appreciation for some of the relics of the 1990’s that the younger generation of Penguins fans may not have a full grasp of. For this reason, I rank both 80’s and 70’s night below.
Pittsburgh Night could be fun but who knows what this could all entail. Will we see Steelers, Pirates, and Pitt gear in addition to the normal Penguins attire? Will we see someone dressed as the guy who got U-S-A chants at PNC Park after being tasered at a Pirates game? Anything is possible.
Star Wars Night is a swing and a miss for me, as someone who hasn’t seen any of the movies in the series.
In addition to the theme nights, the team will have the following promotional giveaways:
- October 16th - Penguins magnetic schedule
- October 26th - Penguins team calendar
- February 1st - Penguins cooler bag
- March 22 - Penguins hat
The Penguins hat giveaway ranks highest on the list, but only if we get a hat trick on hat night, or something really fun like a hat trick on sock monkey giveaway night. We’ve been treated to both instances thanks to Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz.
Everyone who enjoys frosty, cold, beverages should want a cooler bag. That rules, too.
Magnetic schedules and team calendars can be good to have for the refrigerator, but I wouldn't rush to PPG Paints Arena for one.